Monday, December 18, 2006

E-mail false alarm

I've complained repeatedly about how I could never get Claris E-Mailer, Eudora, Netscape 2 and Netscape 3 to work with POP e-mail. Now my grasp of how to configure these things is all trial and error, and I could never figure out where to type the name of the incoming mail server. There's always a place for the outgoing SMTP server, but never for the server called mail.server.com or pop.server.com, for example.

Remember, this is for mail systems where the incoming mail is POP and outgoing is SMTP.

In the newer e-mail programs, like Outlook and in Netscape 4.78, there's a place in the setup for both incoming and outgoing servers, but in the older programs, there isn't.

Finally, I came across a help page on the Web that clued me in:

To configure Claris E-Mailer Lite when the incoming server is mail.server.com, and the outgoing is smtp.server.com:

E-mail address: name@server.com

E-mail account: name@mail.server.com

SMTP host: smtp.server.com

So far I've been able to get Claris E-Mailer Lite to work
    on outgoing e-mail only
. It's way fast but basic (Netscape 4.78 is just too slow for e-mail and news). I've got Eudora 3.1.1 (and 3.1.3 if I can get it) and then the holy grail -- Outlook 4.5, which theoretically will allow for multiple e-mail accounts without reconfiguration -- and newsgroups too.

But I consider this a big-time This Old Mac breakthrough.
    I thought this was a breakthrough, but so far it isn't. I have to run these tests with a POP mail account that isn't from DSL Extreme ... meaning Gmail.

No comments: